Posted by Jennifer Scheulen on May 01, 2021 at 1:29 PM
April 2021 Newsletter
April Needs One More Day (at least)
You’ll be pleased to know that April has no bad days. In fact, in addition to its many worthy monthlong celebrations, it stands in salute to everything from Twinkies to rats.
Perhaps we need a movement to end its shortchanged status and add one more day. Heck, why not two? Okay five. Suffice to say: April is National Everything Month (though not for Everything bagels). So having an iffy day? April showers you with things to celebrate.
- April is… Black Women's History Month
- April is… National Arab American Heritage Month
April 15, President Biden nominated Lebanese-American Christine S. Abizaid to be the Director of the National Counterterrorism Center at the Office of the Director of National Intelligence. If confirmed by the Senate, Abizaid will be the first woman to hold the post on a permanent basis.
- April is… Keep America Beautiful Month
- April is… National Fair Housing Month
This year’s theme: Fair Housing: More Than Just Words. “We all want and deserve the same basic things: a safe place to live and an opportunity to succeed with dignity, with grace, and with hope,” says Marcia L. Fudge, Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Secretary. She is the first Black woman to lead HUD in more than four decades.
30 [Other] Reasons to Celebrate April
- April 1: April Fool's Day
- April 2: Peanut Butter and Jelly Day
- April 3: National Chocolate Mousse Day
- April 4: World Rat Day
- April 5: National Caramel Day
- April 6: National Twinkie Day
- April 7: National Beer Day
- And don’t miss any of the rest, like…National Pretzel Day (because: National Beer Day), Haiku Poetry Day, or Eggs Benedict Day!
I Will Be There
By Tom Squitieri
if you sit some day
when the sun is out
and the virus is gone,
will find you
buy you coffee,
read for you
and create a poem
right there.I promise
the Bosnia bullets that
smacked my arm
the Haitian feet
that kicked me silly
Did not finish the job
Even in this unknown
Who I was to be
And am eager to be
Give me your worried eyes
Your trembling mind
Your free-fall of fear
My hand will hold
All of you
And lead you
Back to where
I have already returned
When the sun says
She is back
Close your eyes
Smell the air
Pull out another chair
And when you
Open your eyes
I will be there
We will laugh
And laugh again
And I will read my
Heart to you
Talk About It!
What’s next? What will be different? What do we need? How will we get there?
Start here. Talk about… stories like these:
- Marwa Elselehdar: 'I was blamed for blocking the Suez Canal'
- Sign Us Up - Women’s Campaign Fund
- Experts: LinkedIn’s inclusion of “stay-at-home parent” could refocus discussion on child care
- Judge grants USWNT unequal working conditions settlement
- Time to Take Back Our Words - Women’s Campaign Fund
- Who Would Run for Local Office Again Right Now? Me, Apparently.
Now is the time we...
Dance and make a difference!
Not now? When?! It’s Spring! Shake it loose!
Wherever you stand or sit or lay your head right now… Wiggle those shoulders. Tap a foot. Roll your eyes, if that’s what you’ve got to give it. But give it!
Give your body a little joy for the journey…
And, as we say each month, from that place, make your heart sing by making a difference… to women who have what it takes to shape the world we’re feeling our way into, connecting solutions to jobs, people to solutions, heart to hardships, opportunity to our scariest dreads.
How can we possibly afford to wait?
No time to lose! #5050x2028. Click "Let's DANCE" to donate!
Until Next Month...
Be safe, be smart, and keep your eye on the future: #5050x2028!
©2021 Women's Campaign Fund